Welcome, reader!


Check out "The Hub" for weekly reviews, trailers, challenges, and discussion topics. Leave positive comments that would be helpful to other readers!


Like a particular genre? Check out just those books using the menu at the top of this page! Like a particular author? Well, click on ONE book by that author in the genre page and see others like it!

Monday, May 14, 2012

Life As We Knew It

The book, Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer is for the people who love reading books about dystopian societies. In this book, the main character, Miranda, lives in New York state and one night witnesses, like most everyone else, an asteroid colliding with the moon, changing life as they knew it (hence the title). The world is thrown into chaos when the moon moves closer in orbit, drastically changing Earth's climate. Disease and starvation strike and the world seems to have come to an end. Little do Miranda and her family realize that the worst has yet to arrive... 

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is looking for something so compelling that they won't be able to put down. It is one of my favorites! Told in Miranda's diary entries, it is a story if hardship, survival, but most importantly the love and support that can only be provided by a family that truly cares for each other.
Susan Beth Pfeffer's first book Life As We Knew It

3 comments:

  1. Great review, Kassie! This book is on my "to read" list on Goodreads for the summer! It looks fantastic! Are you planning on reading the sequels? I think there are two more books in this series. Out of curiosity, how challenging do you find the writing in this book? Do you think most 7th graders would enjoy it, or might it be too difficult for some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know, it depends on the person, but i have already read the sequels... last year. I did a review for it because it is absolutely one of favoritist and i had just reread it a couple weeks ago. I'm not really sure if it'll be challenging for others because I'm not really at the same level of reading as them, I think, but it wasn't challenging for me.

      Delete
  2. Kassie,

    I love the line in your comment above to Ms. Sental: "...and I just had to reread it a couple of weeks ago." When I was in fifth grade, my dad bought me a book about soccer (the name of which I cannot remember) that I must have read over twenty times before finally putting it away. Even though I knew exactly what was going to happen every step of the way, it still held some power over me and I loved to reread the story.

    ReplyDelete